Promises

I recently started binge watching the Netflix series, "The Flash," which is the story behind a young man named Barry Allen, who becomes the superhero speedster in the red suit. Without going into too many details or giving away too much of the show, a scientist named Dr. Harrison Wells and his team built a particle accelerator. When they turned it on, it became unstable and exploded, causing all kinds of havoc in the city, and creating "meta humans," people who took on superhuman powers, including Barry Allen. The majority of the show takes place after the explosion, and we learn the backstory of many of the characters through flashback scenes. Obviously, Barry is the main character and the show focuses mainly on his story, both past and present, but there also numerous secondary characters whose stories tie closely into Barry's, making the storyline flow very easily from one episode to the next. There are lots of plot twists and turns along the way, creating the urgency of "I have to see what comes next!", which is why I like it.

One thing that I have noticed about this series, is people promise a lot of things to other people. "We'll find him and bring him home, I promise." "I promise you, I'm gonna make things right." "We can fix him, I promise." "I promise, I won't leave you." 

I don't like promises. They make me cringe. I don't promise things to anyone, and I don't accept it when someone makes a promise to me. Promises are usually made with the best intentions, but it becomes too easy for a promise to be broken. Once a promise is made and broken, all trust is wiped out. In 1999 I exchanged vows with a man, to love and keep each other, 'til death do us part. We're both still very much alive, but despite my efforts to keep it, that promise was broken 11 years after it was made. Needless to say, it's difficult for me to fully believe anything he says he'll do. 


Promises are nothing more than spoken words, but there is a weight attached to them. The assumption that whoever makes a promise will carry it through. Don't promise something unless you are absolutely 100,000,000% sure that you can keep it. I don't care how big or small the promise may seem, if there's even the slightest chance you can't keep it, don't promise it.

The old saying "Actions speak louder than words" holds very true to me. I would much rather see someone do something than hear them promise it. Prove to me what you say is true, don't just mumble meaningless words. It saddens me that so many people throw this word around haplessly, be it politicians, celebrities, ex's (thankfully, my ex doesn't promise me things. I wouldn't believe him if he did. I've heard of too many people who hear it from an ex-husband/wife), friends, or whoever. On a small, localized scale, there would be less heartache, anger and arguments if people kept their promises or didn't even make them in the first place. On a much larger, global scale, voting for politicians would probably be a hell of a lot easier if we thought that we could actually trust one or two of them. It's easier to gain the respect of others when you're a man or woman of your word. 

In my own life, I'm relieved that I don't hear too many people make empty promises. In fact, I can't recall the last time I heard "I promise." Which is fine with me. My kids are learning that breaking promises is just as bad as outright lying, and that I don't approve of either. We all need to hold ourselves accountable for the things we say.

To Mr. Barry Allen, aka the Flash, I like you, and I'm cheering you on in your quest to figure out your past while using your superhuman powers to do good in the world. But, please, for the sake of all that is holy, stop making promises. To my friends, and anyone else who will listen, please, I beg of you, check your words, and let your actions speak louder.


No comments:

Post a Comment