Very Dear Friend Day

June 5, 2010 was a significant day, in that I learned how powerful appreciation can be.  A friend of mine was going through a very rough time, as was I.  We needed each other, and sat together on my couch, holding hands and crying.  Within just a couple of hours, we became closer friends, just because we were there for each other. On June 5, 2011, he sent me a message reminding me of the day one year ago that we needed each other so much.  And he dubbed June 5 as Very Dear Friend Day.

Years ago, when I was little, my grandmother had sent me a handwritten note which said, "Happy Valentine's Day, Happy President's Day, Happy Lincoln's Birthday, Happy To Know You Day."  I kept that letter for a very long time.  It's probably stashed away amongst the piles of papers and things that I have saved over the years.  Every day can have a significant meaning.  It doesn't have to be a major holiday or some celebrity's birthday or any other huge occasion in order to celebrate.  Each day has some minor significance that can be remembered and celebrated every year.

For a small group of my friends, I can recall the day or the manner in which we met.  For others, although I may not remember exactly how we met, I can recite milestones of our friendship that have taken place through the years.  Each of these small moments need to be appreciated and remembered, otherwise they get lost.  I believe that it's the deep appreciation of our friends and the events that have solidified our friendship that truly make for the best relationships.

If Hallmark can have cards for any stinking occasion they please, then I can celebrate made-up holidays like Happy To Know You Day and Very Dear Friend Day.  Everyone needs a holiday such as these to celebrate.  Because in every person's life, there is occasion to celebrate knowing someone else and being very dear friends with them.

2 comments: