In the Spirit of Santa

Like all good parents, I have worked hard to teach my children how to lead upstanding lives. Teach them the difference between right and wrong, good and bad, do unto others, etc etc. Although sometimes it seems that the Christmas season puts a bit more emphasis on these principals, I do my best to enforce them all year round.

My children have been raised believing in Santa Claus. However, I have never once used Santa as a reason to behave. "Be good or Santa won't bring you any presents," are words that have never left my lips. I want my children to behave for ME, not for Santa. So yes, Santa is real in our house, but my kids know that Mama always trumps Santa. Doesn't matter what you ask Santa for, if Mama says no, you're not getting it. Santa may be watching, but you have to deal with the immediate consequences of Mama if she sees you doing something wrong.

I know it's a part of parenthood to occasionally, and for good reasons, tell little white lies to your children. "No, I don't have any cash on me right now," "You can't have a lollipop because there aren't any left," "Sorry, we don't have any AA batteries right now for your [very annoying] toy." I have said these, and similar, things. But even these, I try not to say too often. I do my best to be up front and honest with my kids as often as possible, so the thought of perpetuating the story of a man who travels around the world in one night does not really sit well with me. So, I twist the story just a little so I don't have to outright lie. My focus is not on Santa as a person, but Santa as a spirit, a feeling, an action.

This year, we hand made quite a few gifts, and I have to admit that I am very impressed with the creations that my children and I came up with. It started with ornaments. We filled a plastic bowl part way with water and drizzled various nail polish on the water. Then we dipped in plain silver glass ornaments. The nail polish floats on the water and sticks to the ornaments, making what could possibly be the easiest hand made gift ever. Next we moved to dipping the stems of wine glasses. Then we expanded our horizons a bit, and with the help from various blogs and Pintrest, we created a coaster, a tea wreath, mason jar cocoa and brownie mixes, planters, picture frames, a painted vase, and few others. I love creating, and I was having a blast making these things. This is what the spirit of Christmas is about. Yes, I bought my fair share of gifts as well, but it felt so great to help my kids get excited about making gifts by hand.

As we were decorating our tree this year, my 10-year-old daughter and 8-year-old son decided they wanted to each leave a gift for Santa. My daughter chose one of the glass ornaments we dipped in nail polish, and my son found a paper elf he had made in school a year or two ago that he thought would be perfect for Santa. They each wrapped up their gift and put a tag on that said, "To Santa, with love." My daughter insisted we get carrots for the reindeer, and after some deliberation, the snack of choice was to be my homemade fudge and a cup of coffee.

Come Christmas Eve, and the kids very carefully set up Santa's little table with our traditional Christmas plate and cup that we put out every year, My daughter placed two pieces of chocolate, two pieces of mint, and two pieces of peanut butter fudge neatly on the plate. The bag of carrots also went on the table, along with a note explaining that the carrots were for the reindeer and Santa is welcome to help himself to the Keurig coffee in the kitchen. The two small gifts were also placed neatly beside the plate, to be sure he didn't accidentally miss them.

Santa wrote a note back to them, and it reads like this:
"My dear children,

I thank you very kindly for the delicious fudge. Since I thought you shouldn't fight over the last Junior Mint cocoa, I chose that to drink. It's nice to have a warm beverage for this jolly old belly on a cold night.

It is very thoughtful of you to leave old St. Nick gifts of your own. That is excellent Christmas Spirit! Giving to others is what the season is all about. And handmade gifts are even better than store-bought ones! You all make wonderful Santa helpers. I hope you will continue to be good to others all year, every year!

Rudolph and the other reindeer also enjoyed the carrots you left for them. Thank you for thinking of them as well.

Enjoy your gifts. May the love and generosity you show to others always come back to you ten-fold!

Merry Christmas! Your friend, Santa"

At 8- and 10-years-old, it's not going to be much longer until the secret gets out, if it hasn't already. My oldest admitted to me tonight that he was about 4 when he figured it all out. But he never asked questions, and his dad and I just kept playing along. Maybe my kids are playing me and big brother, who knows! As long as they are happy in making gifts, giving what we can to others, and not whining about the newest and greatest thing they didn't get, I'm fine with it. I'll play the game as long as they want to. And when they are done playing, we'll continue to spread the Christmas spirit to others in any way we can. This is what Santa Claus really means to me.

2 comments: