Unconditional

Everyone has their own issues to deal with.  I honestly don't really believe that any one person is "better off" than anyone else.  People make their own choices in life, and those choices reflect our personalities, morals and values.  If we choose to be a victim, then sure enough we will be a victim.  We will perceive everything around us as if it is meant to hurt us or bring us down.  If we choose to be a survivor (in any sense of the word) then we will be.  And we will believe that we have the spirit and conviction to overcome what ever issues we are faced with.

One thing that has definitely been reinforced to me is that friends will always stick by you, help you, encourage you and lift you up as best they can.  As much as I try to be positive, I don't have a great attitude 100% of the time, but that's ok.  My friends and family have been there to bail me out of various situations, and I have tried to avail myself to others who need help as well. But when it comes down to the wire, at the end of the day, we are the only ones who can truly decide what needs to be done.  We assess our situations and perceptions and make the decision of how to react.  Our friends can suggest what they might do in a similar situation, agree or disagree with our perceptions, encourage us to do "what's best" given the circumstances... but WE are the ones who make the final decision.

A friend passed along this poem to me that, I think, clearly describes the role of any true friend.

"Portrait of a Friend"

I can't give solutions to all of life's problems, doubts, or fears. But I can listen to you, and together we will search for answers.

I can't change your past with all it's heartache and pain, nor the future with its untold stories.  But I can be there now when you need me to care.

I can't keep your feet from stumbling. I can only offer my hand that you may grasp it and not fall.

Your joys, triumphs, successes, and happiness are not mine; Yet I can share in your laughter.

Your decisions in life are not mine to make, nor to judge; I can only support you, encourage you, and help you when you ask.

I can't prevent you from falling away from friendship, from your values, from me. I can only pray for you, talk to you and wait for you.

I can't give you boundaries which I have determined for you, But I can give you the room to change, room to grow, room to be yourself.

I can't keep your heart from breaking and hurting, But I can cry with you and help you pick up the pieces
and put them back in place.

I can't tell you who you are. I can only love you and be your friend.
--Unknown

For all those who have stood by me, held my hand, cried with me, shared my laughter, listened to me, encouraged me, helped me pick up the pieces, and have loved me unconditionally, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I am honored to have you in my life.  For those who are facing their own issues, please know that I offer my unconditional love back.  However I can be there for you, I will be.  Everyone has issues to deal with, but we never have to deal with them alone.

3 comments: