A Life of Abundance

Last September, I wrote a Gratitude List, a list of 100 things, people and quotes that I am thankful for.  I have gone back to this list a number of times since I wrote it (it's in 4 parts, to make it easier to digest), and remind myself almost daily of the riches that I have in my life. 

Money has always been a big stressor for me.  Always.  I constantly feel that I don't have enough of it to pay for the things I need (and my creditors seem to agree) or the things I want.  Although I do not have an extravagant lifestyle by any means, it's always a struggle for me to freely spend money.  I can spend it, no problem, but then I feel guilty about it later.  Or something else suffers because of a purchase I made previously.  I've come to the dismal conclusion that the Money Monster has me in a terrible choke hold and controls much of what I do and the way that I live.  This is a very bad conception. 

Do you believe that your perception of the world helps improve the way you live?  I have been in conference with an incredible group of women who do believe this, and who have helped me understand that we can (to an extent, at least) control the things that affect our lives.  Perception and attitude can be the difference between a good day or a bad day, a productive meeting or a waste of time, a positive or negative influence.  I've learned that our patterns of thinking can also make a big difference in how we perceive something, and in turn our attitude towards it. 

For years and years I have had negative thoughts toward money.  "I can't pay for this, I don't have enough, I'll never have enough."  I think it's kind of ingrained into us, as a society, to hold negative thoughts about money.  It may be true that money makes the world go 'round, but it doesn't always need to have the spotlight.  It's said that what we focus on, we manifest.  In other words, focus on the negative things and more negativity will find you.  Focus on the positive things, and positivity will abound. 

My attitude about money has been so bad, it's no wonder I've buried myself in a seemingly endless cycle.  I get upset about not having money, which throws me into a slight depression, which robs me of my motivation, which strips my creativity, which makes me more depressed.  And downward I go, not having any desire to fix my situation, yet wishing a windfall of money would land in my lap.  Wish all I want, no money is going to appear unless I move out of my rut and do something about it. 

So, I'm doing my best to change my thought pattern about money.  I have never been one to practice daily affirmations, but I do believe they have their place in shifting the story we tell others.  Tell a better story, live a better life.  It is possible to live a healthy, prosperous, wonderful life without making zillions of dollars.  And, sometimes the people with the most money are those who are also most miserable.  I control the money, it does not control me.  Money is not evil.  Money does not rule my life.  Everything I need is within me, now.  I am the luckiest girl in the world.   The phrases, "can't afford" and "don't have enough" can be replaced with "choosing to make another purchase right now" and "spending my money wisely."  Yes, it helps, but money is not necessary to have fun.  Above my desk at work hangs a calendar with all sorts of photos of my kids.  The August page is of a day last year when I took them outside, gave them finger paints and bubbles, and we all had a blast all afternoon long.  They still talk about painting the driveway.  Yes, I had to buy the paints from the store, but that's a minimal cost and we could even make our own if we tried.  And, the $5.99 or whatever it was I spent at the store was well worth an afternoon of incredible memories and fun.

Change the stories.  Shift the attitude.  Think of things with a positive spin, and those things will become more abundant.  Not overnight, but eventually.  "I control the money."  "My business, my services, my products, my projects are worth the money."  "I see myself generating more money."  What we say out loud is what we create.  Monitor your words, and your stories.  Sometimes a small shift in attitude can make a very big difference.  No matter what my bank account may say, I still believe I am the richest and luckiest girl in the world.


1 comment: