Christmas Cards

It's that time of year...when my mailbox (it's actually a mail slot, but who's keeping track?) gets more action than it does any other time of year. All kind of pictures, letters and cards come pouring through the door, wishing me and my family all kinds of good cheer. I love getting Christmas cards. I love seeing the photos and reading the letters, keeping me abreast of what's been happening in my family and friends' lives. 

There's only one problem. I don't reciprocate. I don't write, stamp and send Christmas cards. I used to, and I enjoyed it. I liked writing the annual letter, being as witty as I could, charming everyone with all the fantastic things my kids and I accomplished over the past year. Somewhere along the way, I gave up that holiday tradition, and turned to Facebook as the all encompassing blast of holiday love to all I know (well, almost all I know, minus my grandmother and uncle who don't have Facebook). Does that make me a bad person? An ungrateful recipient? I hope not.

Each and every December, I'm grateful for:
1. Friends and family who uphold the tradition and spend a stamp to send me a letter, card or photo. I sincerely hope people don't think less of me, and I strive to get a personal holiday message to those who I am closest with. Don't give up on me, friends! I do love your cards!
2. Gifts of any kind. Each Christmas my dad buys us batteries. Each year I get a small assortment of gift cards, to places of necessity (like the grocery store) and places of frivolity (new clothes for me, what a concept!). Each year we visit with my parents, we go out to dinner at some point during the visit, and one of them pays. Each year at Christmastime, I get gifts. My kids get gifts. My boyfriend gets gifts from my family, and I get gifts from his. This, all by itself, is a spectacular thing.
3. Good cheer. I'm not exactly sure if the idea of people feeling "in the holiday spirit" is a myth or not, but I like to think that people make a little more effort to be nice to others during the holiday season.
4. Santa Claus. I have yet to break the Santa facade. My 14-year-old knows. I don't know when exactly he figured it out, because he never asked, I never told, and it's generally not really discussed. Likewise, I don't know what my 9-year-old knows, but she's still intent on feeding the reindeer and leaving out cookies and a Coke (she informed me we need to buy a bottle of Coke with a picture of Santa on it to leave for him), so I'm not about to ruin it. My 7-year-old is still in full-on Santa mode, as well. If my kids have ever had any indication otherwise, they have played me well. I vowed a very long time ago that the legend would live as long as I can prolong it. And if/when the end does come, the spirit will continue. Santa isn't just about a person, but a feeling, an attitude, a perception. The idea of leaving presents for others and helping those less fortunate is something I want my kids to believe in and carry with them, no matter what the time of year. I don't use Santa as a bribe to get them to behave. I encourage them to be like Santa all through the year. The legend of Santa will live forever in my house.
5. The opportunity for my children to buy gifts. In my kids' elementary school, they set up a holiday shop, where the kids can bring in money and choose their own gifts for people, ranging in price from 25 cents to $10. I've received pens, magnets, a bracelet, a ring, a "Best Mom" award that somewhat resembles a Grammy, a key ring flashlight, among other wonderful things. I usually give them each enough money to cover their siblings, me, my parents, and my boyfriend. Each year, they put a decent amount of thought and effort into choosing out just the right gift and they almost always have some kind of explanation or reason for getting each one. My oldest has aged out of the holiday shop program. So each year, I give him some cash and set him free in a nearby store to make his own selections. I've told them, if you're going to buy a gift for someone, make sure it has some kind of meaning to it. Don't just give a gift just for the sake of giving a gift. Each year, they are super excited to watch as the rest of us open their personally selected gift. And usually before all the paper is removed, they're blurting out why they chose it. The most expensive gifts in the world can't replace that. 

To all those who have or will send my family cards or gifts, we sincerely thank you. May each of you experience the extreme joy of receiving something that is chosen with love, specifically for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment