Quotations

I collect quotes. Actually, I'm kind of a hoarder of quotes and sayings. I like finding them, I search them out, then I save them and pull them back out from time to time in appropriate situations. And I plaster my Facebook wall with them. It's easy to like quotes and collect them and even recite them back, but it somehow takes a lot more effort to put some of those inspirational words into action in our every day life. I like to think I try, and on occasion, I like to think that I succeed, even if in just a very small way. I do believe that stuffing my brain with all kinds of positive energy and inspirational sayings has helped me shift my perspective, helped me learn to look at life a little differently than I once did, and helped me figure out how to deal with some things that make me angry or unhappy. Granted, I'm no Happiness Guru or anything, but looking back on myself over the past 5,10, 20 years, I do believe I have changed for the better.

Today's gratitude list is powered by positive words to live by. And I have probably hundreds of "favorites," but here are just a few, in no particular order.
1.
We have collected a lot of 'stuff' in our house, as most people do. If I had to grab just a few things and evacuate (well, I probably wouldn't be able to do it, but let's pretend...), I would want my family's pottery pieces and all my scrapbooks. The pottery pieces represent my heritage and ancestry, and are completely irreplaceable. My scrapbooks are my life, literally. They tell the stories that I might not otherwise remember and bring back all kinds of memories. The who, what, where, when and why of my life, laid out page by page, photo after photo. Those scrapbooks are collections of moments that can never be replaced. 

2. 
One Christmas, when my youngest was about 2, we finished opening all the gifts with the grandparents, and he looked around the room and exclaimed, "That's it?" Needless to say, I wanted to die and strangle him at the same time. I have worked very hard to make sure my kids know it's ok to not have the newest this or the latest version of that, and just because "everyone else has one" doesn't mean they are going to have one. I buy them what I can, and requests that are not completely unreasonable are at least considered. We have nice things, but we're not extravagant. And they understand that things are just things. We tend to lose interest in things over time. But value we should never lose sight of. 

3. 
A few years ago, I had an email exchange with a relative, and I commented about the crazy chaos that was my very loud life, being a single mom of 3 young kids. He said, "Enjoy your unquiet house while the opportunity presents itself. That's part of the scenery on your journey. Stop and smell the flowers, especially the ones your kids have picked for you." We all know that person who seems to have their life scripted out, and they never seem to be frazzled or worried. Maybe that's because said person just accepts whatever comes at them and doesn't fight back or try to contradict it. Life is messy. But it's also beautiful. If we spend too much time trying to "fix" the mess instead of enjoying it, we also miss out on some of the wonderous beauty. Drink it in. 

4. 
Life is messy. And loud. And going to bed, exhausted, at 11pm doesn't count as meditation or alone time. I don't practice meditation (although I should and I do want to), but I realize that there is great importance in having just a few minutes of quiet each day. To be still. To listen to yourself, your environment, your body, your mind's subconscious thoughts. A lot can be learned in the peaceful quiet of one's own company.  

5. 

There is magic and beauty everywhere, even in the most mundane of things.  But the only way you'll see it, is if you want to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment