Digging Deeper: Finding Answers in the Randomness

I've been trying to take a little time each day to examine what it is that makes me appreciative, happy, and accepting. Some days this is easier than others. On the days when I don't have any spectacular, huge Moments of AHA, I try to find little random pieces, such as singing to my kids, reading a book, listening to the birds... etc. On my last post, I had an interesting question posed to me: What is it about these things that make me happy? So I decided I should look a little deeper into it.

Spending time with my kids always makes me happy. Ok, maybe not *ALWAYS* but most of the time. I know that my kids love me unconditionally, even when I'm in a bad mood or cranky or when I just don't want to pay attention to them. A child's love is one of the greatest gifts I have ever been given. And I have three of them who love me! Being a mom is definitely not always easy, but it is by far the most rewarding thing I've ever done. Right now, as I'm typing this, my daughter is pulling my head sideways, trying to put a ponytail holder in my hair. A bit painful, but worth it. I just demonstrated how to put in a ponytail, and she watched, mesmerized and amazed as the ponytail stayed in place! How awesome to know that I can teach her things like that. I may not have all the answers in the world, but showing my daughter how to put in a ponytail is big on my list of accomplishments in her world!

Hearing my 2 year old sing songs to me is wonderful beyond words. It makes me smile every night and pride oozes from my pores. There is huge amounts of satisfaction in hearing your child repeat something that you've taught them. (Something good you've taught them, like the ABC's. The other night, I let a "dammit" slip out while he was in the room with me, and wouldn't you know, he repeated it right back to me. I quickly replaced that thought with "tartar sauce!" Thanks, Spongebob.)

Hearing my kids spew out facts, songs and stories that I've taught them boosts my self-esteem like almost nothing else I've ever experienced. Each time they hug my neck or give me a big, juicy kiss, I melt with joy. Every time I have an intelligent conversation with them about what they did that day or what they learned at school, I'm extremely proud that they've learned to be so articulate and well-spoken. My kids give me self-worth, no question.

My friends have also been huge ego-boosters. When I'm feeling down in the dumps, I know exactly which friends to call, and more often than not in 5 minutes I'm laughing and feeling better. I have a huge network of friends, family and acquaintances, all of whom love me to varying degrees and most of whom would probably do just about anything they could to help me if I needed it. My self-worth just went up another few notches. I am extremely fortunate to know the people I know and to have befriended the people I have. One of those friends told me not too long ago that I wasn't just lucky, I am fortunate and I have worked hard (whether or not I realized it) to attract the friends I have. That means the world to me, right along with unconditional love from my kids.  Stay tuned... more explorations to come.

2 comments:

  1. I tried to comment on the instrument entry awhile back and it didn't go through for some reason....you can blame it all on me and Malik, and Aunt Lee and Uncle Dave...The tambourinry thing was from us, and the kazoo (and slinky) was from Lee and Dave. We all said to each other "Kate's gonna want to disown us" but mom and I felt so strongly about letting kids find their own songs, rhythms, and creativity that we took the risk...hope you can forgive us!! :-) Love,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete