Fate, Through Quotations

Do you believe in Fate?  That whatever you need will pop up at just the time in the just the right place?  Do you believe in Coincidence?  Maybe they are one and the same...


I recently decided to take a leap of faith, of sorts, and change my hours at work.  Something I had wanted to do since my daughter was born, but my husband and I always seemed to talk ourselves out of it.  Money was just too tight.  In about 6 months my daughter will go to school.  For the past 5 years, we've been shuffling around our oldest son after school.  We've been lucky enough to not have to enroll him in any kind of afterschool program.  Grandparents and friends have always helped us out.  Now, with the divorce and the second child on the brink of Kindergarten, I decided that I needed to take more responsibility in their afterschool whereabouts.  So I took a chance and asked my boss if I could cut back my hours.  To my surprise, I was given the green light.


I receive daily inspirational quotes via email.  Sometimes I don't get to read them every day, so they pile up in my inbox and I end up reading 5 or 6 at a time.  The day that I was told I could cut my hours, I read these quotes:

"The wisest men follow their own direction."- Euripides

"The years in your life are less important than the life in your years."- Ralph Waldo Emerson
"We will either find a way, or make one."- Hannibal
"To the timid and hesitating everything is impossible because it seems so."- Walter Scott

So... Coincidence?  Fate?  Reading too far into a situation?  I'm not sure, but it  made some of my hesitation disappear to read all these.  Sure, I'll have a little less income.  Yes, things are fairly tight now, and they will be more so with a smaller paycheck.  But I will be able to pick up my kids after school and not have to find places for them to stay all the time.  I'll be home earlier, which (hopefully) means I can start dinner earlier, and baths earlier and have more time to actually talk with them in the evening, instead of constantly telling them to hurry up so they can go to bed.  

Positive thinking.... Positive thinking has supposedly gotten many people to better places in their lives, and I hope to do the same.  I have a viable side business that I put on the back burner at the end of 2009.  I have just recently started focusing more on that, and now with less of a paycheck, I need to explore other ways of cutting expenses and increasing income.  So my creative juices are flowing, albeit slowly now, but I'm getting back into the groove and am putting together a plan of how to utilize the resources I have in front of me.  Feels good, and I'm going to make it work.

I'm still a bit skeptical as to whether I completely believe in Fate.  But, when I really take a look at my life, things seem to fall into place quite nicely.  And now, I can't help but look at a situation and think, "How is this going to change my life?  What purpose does this person or event have in being here, right now?"  I don't expect the answers to jump out at me, and sometimes the purpose of a person or event is so subtle that I don't realize said purpose until much later.  That's part of the beauty of Fate, I guess, is that you never really know what role it plays until after the fact.

All I know is that I've finally made a way to follow my own direction, add some life to my years, and overcome what was once deemed impossible.  It'll be tough, but it's worth the effort!

Cheers!  :)

6 comments:

  1. I believe in you and know you can make anything work if you truly want it to. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the kids get older, they will remember that you were home for them after school. And then they'll smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you are listening to your inner guidance and taking that leap of faith!! Your guidance will never lead you in the wrong direction, and even if you don't listen and follow your heart, and even when your decision doesn't seem to have been the right one, you can always learn something from it! So either way, you can't go wrong.
    xoxo
    C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! Glad you were able to make this work for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your decision! I'm so glad you're following your gut and taking that leap of faith. I can't imagine a better role model for the kids. Really and truly. Your doing what you love and getting creative about how to make that happen speaks a thousand words. Go Kate!!! :)

    ReplyDelete