Turning Myself Into a Party Girl

I had a Girl's Night gathering at my house tonight. 7 friends came over, and we drank, ate, talked and laughed. We laughed a lot. It was wonderful! I don't know the last time I had a gathering at the house that was for no reason.  And I definitely plan on doing this again!

I am not the most outgoing of people (I know, shocking news to some of you). Not that I don't like social situations, I just don't always like asserting myself. And I am sometimes very awkward when starting a conversation. Of course, usually once I get talking I'm fine, and sometimes, especially after a drink or two, getting me to stop talking becomes the task. I like to think that I have a good sense of humor, I'm generally friendly, and I enjoy having a laugh with friends. I can sometimes be very guarded and making friends is not something that I do extremely easily, which is part of the reason that the friends I have mean so much to me. If I hang out with them, I don't have to go make new ones!  (That's a little joke, just in case you didn't catch the sarcasm.)


My friends have always been a life source for me, and I am extremely appreciative of the friends that I've made throughout the years. I think sometimes we forget how therapeutic being with a group of friends can be. There are 5 major parties that automatically go on my calendar every year, and I do my very best to attend them: Memorial Day, July 4th, Harborfest fireworks, Labor Day, and Halloween. I look forward to each of these year after year, because I know that a) I'll probably know a majority of the people there, b) my kids and I always have an awesome time, and c) I'll get to see some very dear friends, some of whom we only see at these parties! When I grow up, I want to throw some kickin' backyard parties on a regular basis and have people really look forward to coming. I also want to be able to have people over in a moment's notice and not worry that my house isn't clean enough. But regardless of how my house looks, I want people to be able to come over, chat, and truly enjoy each other's company! That, right there, is AHA!

1 comment: