Overlooking

Simply put, music was my moment of AHA for the day. I play saxophone. Bari sax, to be exact. And for I don't know how many years, I've played in a summer stage band which performs classic big band tunes two or three times each summer.

This is not my favorite music. Some of the tunes I enjoy, like Sing Sing Sing. Others, Sentimental Journey is one, I just can't stand. And at the end of every summer I think, "I probably won't play next year," and I give myself 20 reasons why I shouldn't. Then, the following June, the director (who was a music professor of mine at college and has become a good friend) calls and I say "Sure, I'll play." Every year. For like 5 years now, this has been my routine.

But when I go to the first rehearsal, I'm reminded why I continue to play. It's not necessarily about the music. It's awesome to play music I love, but these performances are more about the friends. I can get over not loving the music. I have become very dear friends with some of the people in this group. And I usually enjoy myself at both the rehearsal and the gig, regardless of what music is being played.

Same story for this year. And once again, I don't regret saying yes. Sometimes you have to overlook something that's not so good in order to accept and appreciate that which is very good.

1 comment: