My Resolutions

I'm big into quotes. I can't always think of the right things to say or exactly how to express myself, but I can almost always find or remember some quote that fits the occasion perfectly. I've found and been presented with lots of quotes to help inspire and encourage me this year, as I've tried to find myself and define who it is I want to be. In my September 22 post, I offer a number of quotes that I have come to love. Some of them will resurface here, and I will add others, as I continue to collect inspiration from others.

I don't usually make resolutions, only because I know that the chances of me following through with them are slim to none. However, things have changed, and I have new reasons and motivations for setting really realistic goals AND carrying through to make sure I reach them. And, quotes are going to help me get there.

"Courage is doing what you are afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared." ~Eddie Rickenbacher
"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying I will try again tomorrow." ~Mary Ann Radmacher
"Every day, in every way, life takes courage. Stay courageous, my friends." ~Redd Swindells
"We don't know how strong we can be until being strong is the only choice we have."

I don't like to show it, but I can be afraid of quite a lot. I don't always consider myself the strongest or most courageous person. But, I have learned that sometimes we can be our strongest when we least expect it. For the sake of myself as well as my kids, I know that I have to face quite a few of my fears head-on. I also know that I have the strength I need to face them. I resolve to not let my fears crush my spirit.

"Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you." ~Lao Tzu
"Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough." ~Oprah Winfrey

I've spent too much of my life being envious of what others have. I have plenty to be thankful for, and I have no reason to want anything else. I am extremely fortunate. I resolve to keep my focus on the things that enrich my life every day.

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." ~Dalai Lama
"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it."
"Promise only what you can deliver. Then deliver more than you promise."

I don't promise a whole lot. Ask my kids, they'll tell you that I refuse to promise anything. That's only because I don't want to promise something then not be able to follow through with it. But I love making people happy and I have promised friends, family and my kids again and again that if I am able to help, I will. And if I can make someone happier, just by talking with them or being with them, I will. This is a promise that I intend to never falter on. I resolve to do whatever I can to make others happy.

"Every person, all the events of your life are there because you have drawn them there. What you choose to do with them is up to you." ~Richard Bach
 "Love comes to those who still hope even though they've been disappointed, to those who still believe even though they've been betrayed, to those who still love even though they've been hurt before."

I am surrounded by love every day. I am fortunate beyond words. I cannot pinpoint anything in particular that I did to attract people into my life, but I have met, befriended and love some of the most amazing people ever. I've been told this is because I am an amazing person. I don't think that I am any better than anyone else, but I hope to keep doing whatever it is I'm doing to keep the wonderful friends I have in my life. I resolve to love others the way that I have been loved.
And one more.

"There are no mistakes, only lessons. Love yourself, trust your choices, and everything is possible." ~Cherie Carter-Scott
"He who conquers others is strong; He who conquers himself is mighty." ~Lao Tzu "

I have discovered a lot about myself this past year. I have come to appreciate some things, and change other things. I have learned that I am not perfect (well, I knew that already), but there are a lot of good things about me. I have come to appreciate some of the things that I had previously seen negatively. I have come to accept some things that I hadn't wanted to accept. And all these things, even the things I don't really like, make me a unique and beautiful person. I resolve to love myself the way that others love me.
So, there it is, out in the open for all to see, my New Year's resolutions. May 2011 be the best year yet!

4 comments:

  1. Well, I for one, think you ARE an amazing, strong courageous person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, :) :) :) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *love* this post. You ARE a strong woman! -A

    ReplyDelete