Letting Go of the Past, and Ringing in the New Year

New Year's Eve! A few months ago, I had hoped to do something "big" for New Year's Eve, like visit friends in Florida or go to Times Square, or something! Needless to say, none of those plans came to be, so I invited a number of people to my house to hang out with me and my kids. Not unexpectedly, most people had other plans and only one person ended up coming over. Which was actually fine, because I hadn't really cleaned up from Christmas and my house is a complete wreck and a half! Not that most people would mind that, but still... I have my OCD issues with cleaning my house when I know I'm going to have company.

Anyway, Sandy, the kids and I ended up playing Just Dance, Just Dance Kids and Just Dance 2 on Wii for about 3 hours! And we all had a blast!! It was a trip to watch my 3 kids following the dancer and imitating their movements, and arguing over who was going to be the next to pick a song. My youngest was starting to get very tired, so I danced a few songs holding him in my arms (which is QUITE the workout!), and my daughter was starting to fade, too. We were all having a really good time, and the kids were being super well behaved.

Around 11:00, I made them all change into pajamas and brush their teeth. I put the little one to bed, because he just couldn't take it anymore. My daughter was insitant on dancing a little more, and my oldest was still going pretty strong so we danced another couple of songs before turning on the TV to watch the ball drop. Once they settled onto the couch the game was over! My daughter was out by 11:50, and although my son hung on until about 12:30 or so, he was very tired.

2011 already has better potential than 2010 did. I'm not really a superstitious person, but when you start a new year by fighting with your spouse, it's probably not going to lead to great things. At least it didn't for me. 2010 can officially go down in the books as probably my worst year. But also my best year. There was a lot of balance between the bad and the good that has taken place over the last year, and in the grand scheme of things, my life is still pretty damn good. In the spirit of finding myself anew and creating the me that I really enjoy and want to be, I am going to do my very best to forgive and let go of all the negative things of 2010, and forge ahead with renewed energy to make 2011 the best that I can. It will not be perfect. There will be things that happen which I don't like. I will be faced with negativity. I will be in bad moods now and then. I will falter from time to time at keeping my resolutions. I will anger and upset people, and be angered and upset by others. But all that is natural, and ok, if I choose to deal with things in a positive manner. I will also find new friendships, and rekindle old ones. I will make new memories with my kids. I will love and be loved like never before. I will help others, based on experiences that I have gone through. I will learn and do new things. I will enjoy myself more than I ever have been able to before. Why? Because I have new sights, new goals, new ambitions and a new purpose in life. I still don't really know what I want to be when I grow up, but now I know that I want to BE truly happy and make others truly happy, too. And so it is.

Happy New Year! Cheers to all the best in 2011!

1 comment: