In Good Company

I have amazing friends.  I am thoroughly convinced that I know some of the coolest people on the face of the earth.  Not all my friends will win a Nobel Peace Prize (although I can name a couple who wouldn't surprise me if they did), not all my friends will be famous, not all my friends have every piece of their life put in exactly the right place... but none the less, they are truly amazing people.

One friend went through a terribly dark time in his life, was brought out of it by friends and strangers alike, lived to tell about it and shares his stories quietly with those who need them.  He's given me more advice than anyone else, I think, and although he thinks I'm crazy for quoting him, I will continue to take his advice to heart and pass it along to others as needed. 

One friend is dealing with infertility.  She's also had her share of self-esteem issues over the years, but is moving away from a negative attitude and learning to embrace the challenges that lie ahead of her.  She is strong, determined, and a true inspiration.

One friend is what you could call a Renaissance Man.  He participates in all kinds of sports, no matter the season, he's traveled overseas numerous times, he speaks at least one other language fluently, he's a musician and plays multiple instruments, he is always looking to learn new things.  He has an amazing lust for life and fear of nothing.  Whenever I hear him tell stories of the things he's done, it makes me want to jump up out of my chair and learn how to do it, too!  He's helped me want to learn new things, and is an inspiration for doing so.

One friend is much younger than I, yet very wise beyond her years and has been an immensely huge help to me.  We have many similar and parallel things that have occurred in our lives, and we immediately clicked when we met only 4 months ago.  I feel as if I've known her practically my whole life.  Of all the friends I've known throughout the years, I believe she may be my 'Soul Sister.'

A number of friends are extremely talented and accomplished musicians.  In listening to recordings from my college days, I realized that some of the people I know had more talent in their pinky finger back then, than I ever hope to have.  And many of them have continued with their music career!  I am in awe every time I hear them play.  A high school friend is a college music professor and has had two of her own original compositions published.  That's just the tip of that iceberg.  I know tons of talented musicians.

This is not to downplay any of my own life. I've had my own accomplishements, as well.  I'm a musician- a saxophone player.  I've played in the backup bands for the Temptations, and Mary Wilson and the Supremes. I also sing, and I know how to play the flute and piano (that doesn't mean I play them well, but I know how).  I'm trying to learn the guitar.  Immediately after college graduation, I left everyone and everything I knew, and moved to Florida for a job, and lived there for 2 years.  I have been in the radio business for about 17 years and have experienced just about every aspect of the business in some way, shape or form.  I've been an announcer or DJ for stations who's format is news/talk, Top 40/pop, adult contemporary, country, alternative, and classic rock.  I have the ability to identify a large number of artists in all of these categories.  I am currently a co-host for a weekly, locally produced news program.  I've interviewed and/or met numerous NPR personalities.  I'm a single mom to 3 incredible kids.

I have friends who are teachers, single parents, musicians, cancer survivors, innovators, divorcees, professors, leaders, doctors (both medical and non), scientists... this list could go on.  The people I know have overcome some incredibly difficult challenges in their lives, and they have flourished.  Not only am I in awe of the accomplishments of my friends, but I am enamored by their inspiration, attitude and the genuine love they hold for others.  If we truly are judged by the company we keep, then I am sittin' pretty, for sure!  I have amazing friends.

3 comments:

  1. And some of your friends, myself included, are in awe of YOUR accomplishments, attitude, and inspiration. You have amazing friends...because you ARE an amazing friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ARE an amazing friend! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kinds of people we draw to ourselves are merely reflections of who we are inside and the beliefs that we hold about ourselves.
    I had no idea you played in back up bands for such famous musicians!! Very cool.
    Hope you weren't put off by my email, giving advice when it wasn't asked for.
    Love,
    C.

    ReplyDelete