Next Verse, Same as the First... Or is It?

So far, the new year feels exactly like the old year. Ok, no it doesn't. Not in the least. Not one single stinkin' bit, really. I take great pride in knowing that I have made plenty of strides in improving who I was and taking the time to discover and invent who I really want to be. I am more comfortable and happy with myself than I have been in a very long time. And this continues to be evident by the messages I receive from unexpected people. I am humbled and honored that I have inadvertantly touched so many other people's lives. That is a great feeling of AHA.

I had a friend visiting over New Year's weekend. Sunday the kids had gone with their dad, so she and I did some errands and got a lot done around the house. All the while, we were laughing, making jokes at ourselves and each other, talking girl talk, saying outrageous things, and cracking each other up! I said things to her that I don't think have ever crossed my mind before. I made jokes that usually make me blush when I hear others say them. We got a LOT done together, and had an absolutely marvelous time doing it all! By the end of the day, my gut seriously hurt from laughing so much! It was truly the best day that I have had in a while.

All that made me realize that I am quite a funny person, I am pretty talented, and I've done a few things that others have not. I am not saying those things to brag, but lately I have noticed a big correlation between my happiness level and my confidence level. Who knew it could be so easy to be confident in myself? Or happy with myself? Such simple logic somehow passed me by for many years. When I can convince myself I am happy, I become more confident. And when I can convince myself that I am confident, I become happier. It's about damn time I figured that out! I have said before to others as well as myself, if you can fake it long enough, eventually you start to really believe it.

I have decided that 2011 will be a good year. Yes, we are only 4 days into the first month, but I am bound and determined to MAKE 2011 a good year. I have 101 reasons, if not more, to want it to be a good year. And there is no reason that it can't be the best year yet. So, once again, my resolutions:
  • I resolve to not let my fears crush my spirit. I can and will overcome anything I want to. The valleys only make the peaks greater.
  • I resolve to keep my focus on the things that enrich my life every day. My kids, my family, my friends, my job, my scrapbooks, my friends, my kids, laughter... so many things to be grateful for!
  • I resolve to do my best to make myself and others happy. And I will make myself and others happy without compromising anything that I believe in. To quote a wonderful, wise, very dear friend, "...don't compromise any part of yourself -just- to make someone else happy. Anyone who asks that of you doesn't think highly enough of you to deserve your gift of happiness. Be yourself first, then rain your particular brand of happiness down on those who look a little dry in that regard."
  • I resolve to love others the way that I have been loved. I have been George Bailey and I have seen the love come pouring in. I will do the same for others.
  • I resolve to love myself the way that others have loved me. Can't love others until you love yourself. A lesson I needed to learn a long time ago, but I guess it's never too late. I am perfectly imperfect and happy because of it.
  • I resolve to get out there and live the best life I can! Learn new things, enjoy my kids, spend time with new and old friends, get outdoors, breathe deeply and enjoy every moment that I can.
Each day we get a chance to start with a clean slate. I am definitely going to make 2011 a year to remember, and I'd love to have you with me!

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Kate! The truth in all of this brings a tear to my eye & reminds me to be confident in myself and recognize all my gifts and blessings.

    ReplyDelete