An Unexpected Repair

I got a phone call tonight that was very unexpected.  It was from someone who I've had a rocky relationship with, to say the least.  Yet this time the conversation was civil, dare I say.. pleasant.  We talked for well over an hour, with the topics ranging from work to kids to friends to relationships... to us and our relationship.  Sometimes it's difficult to talk about a relationship with the person you had the relationship with.  We laughed over some of the little things.  I got choked up a bit.  All in all, it was nice to talk with them.  It made me smile. 

There have been times when we haven't exactly been as nice as we could have to one another.  There have been conversations where "nice" words seem to be empty and meaningless.  There have been things said to one another out of anger that were hurtful.  There was none of that tonight.  The words and feelings were genuine.  I was surprised to receive the call in the first place, and I was a little surprised that we were able to have such an open and honest conversation.  I heard myself say words that I never thought I'd be able to say.  And although it did choke me up, I meant what I said.  And I believe the things that were said to me, as difficult as some of them were to hear, were said with the best intentions.  I think this conversation gave a kind of closure to a relationship that was abruptly interrupted.  I'm not sure if our relationship will ever be what it was once upon a time ago, when we first met.  But I think the repairs have begun.

Sometimes the smallest actions can make a big difference to someone.

3 comments:

  1. How wonderful!! Closure is so important!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's great, and even though it is bitter-sweet, I'm glad it has started to happen. Think there might be a connection with the work that YOU started to do?? :-) I do!
    Love you!
    C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People often view the same situations in different ways from one another. Maybe you can keep up the honest and genuine communication and really move on in your closure. It's hard work but so important! So glad you feel so positive about it!

    ReplyDelete