The Need to Be Needed

I was never one of those kids who knew what they wanted to be when they grew up. At least not that I remember. I do remember wanting to be Nadia Comaneci, the Olympic gymnast, when I was young. Besides that, I don't ever remember saying, "I want to be a teacher, or an astronaut" or as my oldest tells me, "a palentologist."

Now that I'm 37 (closing in on 38), I still don't really know what I want to be when I grow up. I love live radio. The other day I engineered 3 hours of live coverage of Governor Cuomo's State of the State address. Honestly, I can't tell you a thing he said in his speech (or any of the other speeches that took place) but I had a great time being the engineer and making sure that everything worked exactly as it was suppose to. Election night, you may recall, was the best 8 hour stretch I've had in a very long time. I also have a passion for photos and scrapbooks. I love taking and looking at photos of my family, and I really love creating scrapbooks and projects with those photos.

I am, by nature, a shy person (go ahead, laugh...). I enjoy spending time doing the things that I like to do. I also enjoy getting the house cleaned, which is something I can't usually do with 3 kids around. I like having time to myself. Ironically, I also very much enjoy having others as company. Rarely do I willingly enter into a situation where I know I will have to be by myself. My first college roommate was a friend from high school. All the years I went to camp as a kid, I knew at least one other person in my cabin. The first time, I think, when I did something truly by myself was in 1996 when I left New York and moved to Florida. No one expected that out of me. But I did it. I moved for a job, and I can't really say that I regret it. It was a bold decision for me, and I learned a lot while I was there, so I think it was a right decision. I gathered up my confidence to make friends, and had a very nice time living in the panhandle of Florida for 2 years.

As I have grown older and learned things about me and life in general, I have come to realize that perhaps I may never really know what I want to be when I grow up. One thing I do know is that I want to be needed. I enjoy helping others, listening to their problems (although I may not always have good advice, I think I'm a good listener), giving advice when I can, being able to make someone laugh or at least smile, and just being there for someone. On nights when the kids are with their dad, I feel kind of useless. Lonely. Like I'm not needed. Of course, I know this isn't true because as soon as they run out of underwear, I'm suddenly needed... like, yesterday! I think that's part of the reason I don't like to be alone, because there's no one to need me. I would rather enjoy someone's company while doing dishes, folding laundry or just listening to music than do any of that alone. If there's company, I can offer them coffee or dinner. I can entertain them by putting on a movie or Wii game. I can learn about them and share myself by talking and telling stories. I love to be useful to others. That's just another means of AHA for me. So, while I ask that you please don't blatantly take advantage of me, I am happy to be of just about any use to you that I can!

3 comments:

  1. Yesterday you were 37.5 ("no cavities"), now you are "closing in on 38". Life certainly is moving fast for you!

    At that rate you'll be grown up before you know it.

    PS. When your life isn't full of responsibilities and others needing you, that's supposed to be fun time, where you can do what you want to do. Maybe you like other people needing you so much you don't know what you want to do yourself. Grow up kid! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I agree with Kate. It's no fun to be alone, and it's no fun to not be needed... tomdef

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah, I agree with Malik- find fun things to occupy yourself! You're a grown up! ;)

    ReplyDelete