Passing On the Kindness

A good friend of mine stayed at my house tonight. Her mom had surgery earlier today, and my friend was kind of a wreck about it. She couldn't be with her mom, so I offered up my company and invited her to stay in my circus of a household so she could vent to someone she trusted, if she needed. Or at the very least be distracted to not worry about her mom. It's always nice to have company around when you're feeling uncertain.

Another Very Dear Friend of mine has told me that the kindness he passes along to others was passed along to him when he needed it most. He has helped me understand and deal with this year's circumstances, probably better than anyone else. He's assured me that when the time is right, I will be there to pass that kindness along to someone else when they need it most. Just about everything he has told me will happen, or every emotion he's told me I'll feel, has been true. So I believe that I will be put in the position to help a friend, and I am ready for that duty. I'm willing to do whatever is necessary for my friends in need.

Many of the blogs I've written since June have been exploring and discovering me, my emotions, what makes me happy and how to deal with various challenges. One thing that I love doing that I don't think I've mentioned very often is helping others. I have been wrapped up in my own drama, and I have been shortsighted many times. Not that I'm a particularly self-centered person, but I think when the right circumstances present themselves, everyone becomes focused on themselves once in a while. I am now starting to emerge from that inward focus. I realize that there are others who "need" me for a number of reasons. I realize that I have the ability to fulfill whatever needs those are. And I take great pride and satisfaction in knowing that I helped someone else.

Each person has to find the right balance of self-centeredness and empathy. It's ok to focus on ourselves, and it's ok to ignore ourselves to focus on someone else. As long as the balance stays fairly even. Too much of one or the other causes disruption and leads to it's own set of problems. I have spent a lot of time learning what I need. It always feels good to me to reciprocate that. I had a friend who was in need, and I welcomed the opportunity to help her. Passing on a little of that kindness. I've got lots more for anyone else who wants it.

3 comments:

  1. You are an absolutely wonderful friend and I love you dearly. I will be eternally grateful for our friendship and every ounce of kindness you have given me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your insights. "What goes around, comes around" or "What you put out will come back to you tenfold" or "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" ...anyway, it's reciprocality that makes the world go round!
    Hugs to you and the kiddos.
    C.

    ReplyDelete