Hockey Date Night

HOCKEY NIGHT!!! The Oswego Lakers' biggest rival in hockey is the Plattsburgh Cardinals. It's the biggest game of the season, and almost always sold out. A good friend who has season tickets had bought standing room only tickets for himself, his wife and number of family members, so he offered his seats to me. I gladly accepted and went on another "date" with my oldest son.

The game was pretty intense, and I'm not a sports writer or commentator, so I won't pretend to try to amuse you with my wit about players and goals and our team squashing the other. (On a sidenote, I find sports writing much more interesting and entertaining than any other news. Their use of synonyms is unmatched, I think!) It was a nail-biter, right down to the very last second... literally. We scored, they tied it up. We scored again, they tied it up. Scored and tied once more, for 3-3 in the third period. We scored one more, then Plattsburgh pulled their goalie to get an extra player on the ice. With 1.5 seconds left in the game, we scored again! Wow. Just wow. The arena went nuts each time we scored. And when the refs made a few bad calls, it was just as bad. I screamed like I haven't screamed in a long time. Probably since the hockey games in college! My son really got into it, too. Although neither of us know any of the official rules, we know the puck is suppose to go into the opposite team's net, and he was sure to point that out to the players at every given chance. Loudly, too!

He really enjoyed being in the midst of that small bit of craziness. Which made me enjoy it even more. This may just have to be a new tradition for the two of us. "Hockey date night" with my boy = AHA.

No comments:

Post a Comment