"We Plan" ... Well, You Know the Rest

I love to cook and bake, and to make big meals. Generally, I look forward to making things from scratch. Holidays are usually a big deal to me. Surrounding myself with family, friends and food are a highlight. I planned to make Thanksgiving dinner for the kids tonight. A day early, I know, but it seems that holiday plans are going to be shifted from now on, compared to what I've been used to.

I went to the store and bought all the necessary components - rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, spinach (my kids actually eat it), crescent rolls, bananas for making banana bread (which my daughter has been asking for) and a pumpkin pie. I set the dining room table with a dark green tablecloth, matching plates and silverware for us all, 3 wine glasses for the 2 older kids and I and a sippy cup for the youngest, and I lit three candles.

When the kids came home I had just about everything ready. Only, they didn't want to eat. The stomach bug had hit the youngest a few days ago, and he's been reluctant to eat dinner lately. Seems that the bug has started moving through our family. My oldest son has complained of an upset stomach for a day or so, and instead of eating dinner, he spent the evening lying on the couch. My daughter humored me by taking a few bites of chicken and drinking milk with me from wine glasses. We clinked glasses and "cheersed" a few times, which made us both happy. But that was the extent of our Thanksgiving dinner.

I wanted to do something special with them, so I offered them a sleepover in the living room. We lined up the sleeping bags on the floor and watched "Lion King 1 1/2" (which is a great movie, focusing on the adventures of Timone and Pumbaa). My youngest seems to be the only one who was spared from the dreaded stomach bug this time. My oldest had thrown up earlier and was still recovering, my daughter wasn't feeling well and was not acting like herself, and at 3:15 in the morning, I finally got hit.

Today didn't go as planned. What is it they say-"We plan and God laughs" I think? Yeah, I believe that to be true. Anyway, I am thankful that I got to spend a little bit of time with my kids, and they seemed to enjoy themselves for the most part, despite the uninvited guest. My oldest said he was bummed he couldn't eat dinner. He said it smelled very good, and asked me to save him a drumstick. They all laughed at the movie, and they all said they had a good time sleeping in the living room with me. Only next time, I'm getting an air mattress. I'm thankful that I can provide them with days like today that they will remember, even if it's not for the traditional reasons!

No comments:

Post a Comment