Let Go and Have Fun

This weekend is my college reunion. Well, that's not entirely true. My college groups 3 classes together, so even though I graduated 14 years ago, my class is invited to the 15 year reunion of the Class of 1995. And the music fraternity I'm a member of is having a few reunion events. I am really looking forward to it, but a lot of friends I was hoping to see won't be there, which makes me sad. And a little nervous. I don't like being in situations by myself, meaning where I don't know (or don't know well) anyone else. I don't always make friends easily and - contrary to what others may tell you - I'm not much of a conversationalist when I don't know people. I know that there are going to be some people of the "younger generations" of the fraternity there... people I don't know (or don't know very well). [Anyone else seeing that "Worry" theme coming back into play?] I like making new friends, and getting to know people better, but in the back of my mind there's that nagging thought of "I hope I say the right thing. I hope they like me!"

Keeping in line with yesterday's thoughts, I need to just accept myself and accept that some people will like me and others may not. I have to learn how to let go and just let myself have fun instead of worrying about.... well, anything! Sometimes you just have to cut loose and not give a damn as to what others think. I've never sung karaoke because I've always been too self-conscious of what others will think of me. Who cares?? I'm trying to make it a goal of mine to just act how I want to act (within reason, of course!) and not really care what others think. Just go and let myself have fun. That's what it's all about. Yes, the bills need to be paid, and I have to go to work, and the kids need to be fed and chores need to be done, but if you can't have fun while doing all the things that need to be done, what's the point?? And this weekend is a perfect opportunity to let go and have fun. So, whatever it is you have planned for the weekend, make sure you have fun with it! It will be much more worth it if you do!

4 comments:

  1. Have fun at your reunion! (And just keep in your head the whole time, all the people who love you, so whatever anyone else thinks doesn't really matter anyway)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This weekend I'm working on a stage show - that's always fun (for the most part) for me. But tomorrow I'm going to audition for a show, which is extremely nerve-wracking: talk about worrying what other people will think of you! Oh well, if I get a part, fine, and if I don't, I'm sure something else will come along. (But wish me luck anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the awesome comments! I had a lot of fun hanging out last night, and didn't care (too much) about what everyone else was thinking.

    Good luck with the audition! Hope you all have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete