The Dawn of a New Day

"Today is going to be a great day. Don't start your day with a negative attitude. It's hard to understand why so many people wake up each morning feeling defeated when each day holds so much potential. The possibilities that today offers are endless, so eagerly anticipate wonderful happenings. It's easy to let blessings go by unnoticed if you're not looking."

This is a quote I took from a Facebook friend's status Thursday. Which was appropriate because I had a bad night Thursday night and woke up in a bad mood Friday morning. And I thought of this quote. Which pretty much sums up everything I've been striving to teach myself throughout the course of this month. I sometimes have a very hard time letting go of things. I hold grudges. I dwell on what was said or things that happened. I re-enact in my head how I could have handled situations better. And all these things are fine and good - to a point. You learn, you move on. With the beginning of another day, you take a big breath and think "I can do it. I can make it through today." This is much easier for some than it is for others. But still, if you think about it, why would it be so hard to have this attitude at the beginning of each day. I mean, after all, it is a new beginning. You go to sleep at night, recharge your body, empty your mind, refresh yourself and start again the next morning. Everyone has bad days, don't get me wrong - I know that. And sometimes a bad night has a way of carrying over to the next day, and sometimes despite our best intentions, things just don't go our way right off the bat causing us to be in a foul mood early. These things happen. But that doesn't mean that we have to let it ruin the whole rest of the day. There's still a chance for us to start over and recognize the blessings that we are being given throughout that day.

Friday, when I woke up in a bad mood, I thought about this quote for quite a while. And I reasoned with myself that even though I went to sleep not feeling so happy, I could still focus on the positive things that I noticed as Friday progressed. I could tuck Thursday's happenings under my belt, learn from them, and carry on, being grateful for what's ahead. So that's what I forced myself to do. And you know what? It worked. I had a pretty good day Friday.

Ditching the negative attitude and looking forward to the day's potential and possibilities = AHA.

No comments:

Post a Comment