Family

I got to see some of my family today, which was fairly unexpected, and very cool. My aunt called me this morning at work, and drove the 40 minutes to come up and chat with me during my half hour lunch. My mom and dad drove two hours to pick up my son from school, watch my daughter's soccer practice and take us all out to dinner. Families are cool like that.

Growing up, I never fully appreciated my parents and everything they did for me. My mom and I fought all the time. My dad annoyed me quite often. (And yes, I'm fully aware that at least one of them will most likely read this.) And looking back, I was definitely not the easiest person to live with. However, they were always there for me. They've bailed me out of I don't know how many situations. I probably would have been living in a box on a street corner in the panhandle of Florida for the past 12 years if it hadn't been for them. Heck, I probably never would have even made it to Florida way back in '96 if it hadn't been for them. They've given me lots of opportunities to do lots of things, and although I'm sure I didn't make them happy all the time, they have pretty much let me make my own choices and live my own adult life. Now I am a parent and I'm beginning to understand how they've felt all these years and the stress, worry, pride and happiness they went through. (And my kids aren't even teens yet!)

I can clearly remember some characteristics about 4 of my great-grandparents, even though I knew most of them for only a short time. My grandparents, too, have put many fond memories into my head. Both my grandfathers have passed on, but my grandmothers are still around, and it still makes me smile to talk with them on the phone or get a card from them in the mail.

As for my aunt and uncles, I've always thought they were a little crazy (and I mean that in the most loving way possible), and I've admired them for it. They make me laugh, they have wild imaginations, they go out of their way to treat me well, they are very loving and giving people. Even though we are all spread out geographically, I know that with just a phone call or email, my aunt, my 2 uncles, my mom or my dad would do whatever they can to help me with whatever I need anytime. And that's a pretty good feeling to have.

We all have family. Whether or not they are blood relatives is irrelevant. Consider the people you call "family" and take a few minutes to genuinely appreciate them. Our lives would be a lot less enjoyable sometimes without them there.

2 comments:

  1. I love the child you were and the woman you have become. I am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prudence Q. CrambleJune 15, 2010 at 5:31 AM

    On behalf of the crazy people in the family, I accept this award and promise to fulfill my auntial duties to the best of my abilities....

    ReplyDelete