Bounce House and Reptiles

I took the kids to a local hot air balloon fest today. The ride (for lack of a better word) of choice for the day was the bounce house. All three kids went in multiple times and had a blast every single moment they were in there. They jumped, they ran, they bounced, they slid, they fell over, they fell on top of one another, and they laughed. They absolutely loved the bounce house.

As I stood there watching them (and taking pictures), I couldn't help but smile and think how incredibly awesome it is to just have a grand old time bouncing. In fact, every kid who went in there laughed and smiled and giggled and did not want to come out when they were told to. What is it about a bounce house that's so attractive to kids? I suppose the freedom to just jump (because, really, what kid doesn't like to jump?), maybe the randomness of where they land, the feeling of exhilaration as they "fly" through the air and down the slide. I have to admit it does look fun. I think in that house, the kids experience their own AHA. And I think from watching them, they showed me AHA too.

The hot air balloons were cool to look at, too. We all liked watching them blow up, then lift off the ground and fly high above our heads. It was a beautiful sight. The other attraction they liked was the reptile rescue tent. They had a number of different snakes, including a really big python, a variety of lizards, 4 tortoises, and a couple of small turtles. There were a number of different handlers who each had a reptile that the general public could look at and/or touch. "Speedy" the 16-year-old tortoise was out of his confine for quite a while and had a fairly large crowd following him around. And he was, in fact, fairly speedy. I had a hard time getting a good picture of him and the kids because somebody always kept moving. I was pretty amazed, and proud, that all three of them enjoyed touching various reptiles with very little fear. Even the youngest walked right up and made friends with the python. It's truly amazing to think that kids are born with no fear of anything. Another moment of AHA born from watching my kids gently interact with nature's creatures.

The bounce house still won the most kudos. I can't remember the last time I went in a bounce house. Maybe I'll consider renting one for our next birthday party, as long as I can afford one big enough to let the adults jump too.

1 comment:

  1. I think we met "Speedy" at another event a few months ago. He was quick on his feet but in that case spent a good deal of time in a corner with legs and head firmly hidden in his shell. You're right about the kids. They start with little fear and it is a joy to watch them be kids.
    -Jeff

    ReplyDelete