Everyday Mundane (Part 2)

I'm going to sort of keep with the same theme as yesterday, but in a slightly different vein. What are some things that you have to deal with day in and day out that you just don't like, but you have to accept them as necessary and appreciate them as important? Here are a few of mine.

  • Laundry. C'mon, now, who really enjoys doing laundry? Not many people I know, but it is certainly necessary, unless we were to move to a nudist colony, which I have threatened to do! (I swear those clothes multiply by themselves!)
  • Dishes. We have a dishwasher, and it's one of the nicest amenities of any dwelling I've ever lived in, but still the dishes pile up on the counter. I'm not really sure why, other than we're usually just in too much of a hurry when cleaning up after a meal to take the few moments to rinse them and stick them in the washer. When we run out of counter space, then we make time to load the dishwasher. Washing the dishes may not be quite as important as doing laundry, but it's still necessary. We'd waste a lot of money on paper products if we never again washed another dish. (Not to mention our kitchen would be super-gross in no time!)
  • Picking up toys. Probably my most disdained chore, which would explain why most of the time my house looks like it survived a hurricane. But it's gotta get done. The place would be completely unbearable if we let the kids put their stuff where ever they wanted to all the time. I'm not the cleanliest of people, but I like to be able to get from point A to point B in any given room without stepping over or on things all the time.
  • After-meal clean up. I suppose this goes hand in hand with doing dishes, since meals are the time when the most amount of dishes are accumulated. Again, holy grossness if the food scraps don't get into the trash or condiments don't get put back in the fridge and cupboards where they belong.
  • Trash. The dreaded trash. Food scraps, dirty diapers, snotty tissues, dust bunnies (and other bigger dust creatures)... Eww. Have you ever imagined what your house would look/smell like if you didn't take out the trash? I know what mine smells like after one too many dirty diapers are left lying around for too long. Wow! I love trash day just for that reason!
Household chores are not any fun, I don't care who you are! But I accept the fact that I have to do them, and I appreciate the fact that I am able to do them well. It makes me happy to have a (fairly) clean and nice-smelling house, even if there is a lot of clutter in it. Here's to the mundane, unlikeable things that deserve to be liked, even if just a little!

1 comment:

  1. Making a clear path from Point A to Point B: definitely a gene inherited from your mother!

    ReplyDelete