The Good, The Bad and The Ugly of an Opporunity

Opportunities can come to us at any time and in many different forms. Sometimes an opportunity can be exciting and frightening, joyous and sorrowful, elating and depressing all at the same time.

I found out today that a good friend will be leaving. She got offered an incredible job opportunity in New York City and she starts in 2 weeks. This, obviously, affects her more than any of the rest of us, but myself and a number of other coworkers have had very mixed emotions about it. On the one hand, we're very sad to see her go. She's been a good friend to a lot of those she works with, she's awesome at the job she does, and a lot of people she doesn't know rely on her daily. On the other hand, this could be an incredibly beneficial career move for her, and who wouldn't want that opportunity?!

Some people you just know you're going to be good friends with for a very long time, regardless of where either of you are located, or what jobs you have or how much money you make. It's very difficult when one of you has to leave the immediate area of the other, but you do your best to stay in touch, keep up to date with one another and keep that friendship fire burning. I've worked with my friend for 4 years now, and we just recently became close. Why did it take that long for us to really become good friends? I have no idea. But I think that we've really needed each other in the past few months, and we've talked each other through a lot lately. I am very sad to see her go, but I can appreciate what a move like this could do for her. I accept the responsibility to keep our friendship close, and I'm so very happy that she has a new chapter of life to look forward to!

Don't let life get you down, Jazz. You are awesome, amazing and beautiful, and I'm so proud to be your friend. Keep an eye out for those moments of AHA, and you'll find them everywhere. And if ever you can't find AHA, you call me and I'll make a moment just for you!

2 comments:

  1. I understand all too well what you're going through. Very mixed emotions - some smiles and a lot of tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Jazz; thanks for being there.

    ReplyDelete