Just Do It

One of my biggest pet peeves of life is when someone tells me they will do something and they don't do it. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not perfect by any means! I forget to do things sometimes, and I tend to run late when I'm supposed to be somewhere. But if I know that someone has specifically asked me to do something, I really do my best to do it. Or I tell them I can't.

I have come to appreciate this sort of honesty quite a lot. If you're going to take the time to say something to someone - no matter what it is - have the heart to mean every word of it. If you say you'll be somewhere, pick them up, bring them something, talk with them, do whatever for them, do it! If you don't plan on doing it, say so from the beginning. Or at least as soon as you decide you can't carry through with whatever it is you said you'd do. Sometimes things come up, we forget, something happens to steer us off track. If that's the case, apologize, and be sincere about it. If you really did intend to do whatever for your friend, let them know why it was you couldn't carry through. Honest apologies usually garner no hard feelings.

I really don't need to hop on a soapbox and get too deep into why this all matters, but let's just say that openness, honesty, clarity and truthfulness all create a big moment of AHA for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment